Thursday, February 4, 2010

Old friends


We met up with an old friend last night for dinner. It was so good to see him and it seemed like nothing had changed in the 10 years since we had last seen him. Life is not like that however. How much do we really know about people? Just what is shared. We share different things with different people and in this way we protect ourselves from a whole host of indignities. There are many times when I don't share my parenting views, educational views or my ideas about my lovely little business. I don't want to defend our choices, seem too far to the right or left on the political spectrum or just seem silly. I also don't want to make the other person feel defensive because their path is different from mine. Wouldn't it be lovely to be authentic and accepted for who we are? As I strive to be more true to myself, I open myself up to others criticisms but also new friends and communities. Many inspire me and I carry their spirit into my daily life and activities. Maybe I can find that strength too. The strength and self love to be a little bit more then what people think they see.

No comments:

Post a Comment