Monday, February 8, 2010

Taking care of me

 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdeal/7933510/
I just started running on January 1st, 2010 after taking a hiatus when I became pregnant with my fourth child. I decided it was time to do something just for me. My goal is the Wharf to Wharf which takes place in July. I have run it before and thought it might be just the motivation I need to get me out the door and back into shape.

Taking care of myself has been very low in the priority list since my baby came and it was beginning to take a toll on me physically and mentally. A five minute shower while my eldest was taking care of the baby in the other room (hopefully no crying was involved) was all the pampering I was getting. Enough was enough. I needed to do something that would contribute to my happiness and sense of well-being. Something that I could manage to do on a regular basis which would easily fit into our busy life. Being happy and healthy had to be a priority so I could continue to be a good mother to my beautiful children.

Running seems to be the perfect answer. Many years ago, I starting running with a girlfriend as a way to manage my weight and I quickly realized that it provided me many other benefits as well. I was able to manage stress better, sleep better and I felt a sense of accomplishment every time I finished a run.

Now I run despite the weather, fatigue, sick kids or busyness. It is one of the few things I do for myself but not necessarily by myself. The kids often accompany me in the jogger or on their bikes. My older kids really look forward to going out with me and I enjoy having a unique way to connect with these lovely children.

The Wharf to Wharf will be here before I know it. Time goes quickly these days. But I will be ready to take it on and after it is done, I will run on to my next challenge with my children riding right beside me.

Have a lovely day.


No comments:

Post a Comment