Friday, February 26, 2010

Reawaking the garden


It is time to start planning the garden.  The weather has been wet and cold this week.  But spring is in the air - last week it was so lovely, we were thinking about getting out our summer clothing. The birds are out and flowers are starting to bud and bloom.  


Our yard looks forlorn and neglected.  It didn't receive much attention last year as I was attending to a wee one.  We also had a rampaging mole who did a fine job of tearing up the lawn and uprooting many of my flowers.  Thankfully, the new kitty evicted the evil little rodent.



Now I have to decide where to start.   The options are a bit limited as our yard is small and it only gets afternoon sun.  We also have large playset and a sandbox to contend with.  (I am dreaming of a larger outdoor space in our next residence!)  Garden placement must also take into account marauding children who always seem to forget that the new lavendar is not some evil intruder that needs to be killed with a stick.



 My dream space will include a wall of sunflowers and a beanpole teepee.  I would love to have some lettuces, beans, tomatoes, peas, carrots and squash. A selection of herbs would be lovely additions to winter soups.  I also want to add to the native plants which currently live in the yard. 




 

The planters on our shady front porch will be needing something bright and cheery to welcome the visitors and greet us when we come home. 



I am trying to contain myself.  It is the end of February.  Surely Jack Frost will pop by for a visit (probably right after I plant something!)  I have to make sure I will have the time to care for my space.  There is nothing so sad as seeing all all the hard work wither away because I forgot to water the yard for a month.  (Some days the call of the beach and ocean is so loud that I have to leave all the work behind and go play.)




I think I will just pop by the nursery, drool a bit and try to wait a few more weeks before tackling the outdoor space.  To every thing there is a season.  I suppose I shall have be content with the season of dreaming. Sigh.


Have a dreamy day.

1 comment:

  1. I am sure with the warmer weather,sun will illuminate your yard, and bring you new ideas. cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete